A surgeon, Dr. Grace Ayensu- Dankwa has been chosen by delegates of the National Democratic Congress in the Essikado-Ketan constituency to lead the party as its parliamentary candidate in the 2020 general elections.
At the end of the parliamentary primaries held on Saturday, Dr. Grace Ayensu- Dankwa had 594 votes of the 677 valid total votes cast, while Victor Henry Abbey Hearts, her contender, lost with 80 votes.
Profile of Dr. Grace Ayensu- Dankwa:
- Attended Holy Child Secondary School in form 5 and completed sixth form in Archbishop Porter Girls.
- Acquired a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles.
- Attended the University of Wisconsin in Madison for Doctorate in Medicine.
- Had five years of training in Surgery Trauma/burn and two years of fellowship in burn and reconstructive surgery.
- Attended Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore to obtain a Masters in Public Health in International Health Management and Planning with special certification in humanitarian assistance/disaster management.
- Worked in private practice in the US with licenses in California and Maryland.
- In Ghana, she runs a private surgical facility in Accra
- She’s also CEO and founder of Healing Hands Organization, an NGO dedicated to providing medical/surgical care to the poor and needy who have no access to proper healthcare and also free medical supplies and equipment to clinics and hospitals in rural areas.
- A member of the Ghana FDA advisory team for vaccines and biological products.
- A professor of medicine at the University of Utah in the United States and at the Cape Coast University Medical School.
- A fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a fellow of Ghana College of Physicians and Surgeons.